The British Engines Awards celebrates the success of those enrolled onto the British Engines Apprenticeship Scheme, sharing anecdotes and words about their contribution to their teams and our business, as well as celebrating those that will be receiving their award for 25 years of service.
One of our six core values is that we are committed to providing a great workplace for our employees. We know that this creates happier and motivated teams. As a family-run business, we recognise the part that our families play in supporting us in our careers too, so our awards evening is the perfect excuse for British Engines to bring people together to thank them for their continuous support.
This year, seven individuals from the British Engines Group will be celebrating 25 years of service. So, let’s remind ourselves and those that will be celebrating with us, what happened during those early years in the 90s when they started working at British Engines.
- George H. Bush vomits on the Japanese prime minister’s lap
- John Major is re-elected as Prime Minister
- The Queen commemorates her Ruby Jubilee
- The first episode of Absolutely Fabulous debuts
- Prince Charles and Princess Diana officially separate
- Disneyland Paris opens on the 12th April
- Black Wednesday (16th September) – the withdrawal of the pound sterling from the European Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM)
- The Church of England votes to allow female priests
- On 20th November a fire breaks out in Windsor Castle destroying nine rooms
- The first ever text message is sent in December 1992, it said Merry Christmas
- The Queen’s Royal Christmas Message is leaked in The Sun newspaper 48 hours ahead of its annual Christmas Day broadcast
- Czechoslovakia ceases to exist as the Czech Republic and Slovakia separate
- Bookmakers cut their odds on the monarchy being abolished by the year 2000 from 100:1 to 50:1
- Manchester United wins the 1993 Premier League title
- The Queen announces that Buckingham Palace will be open to the public for the first time
- Bill Clinton becomes president of the United States
- A train makes its first journey from England to France via the Channel Tunnel
- Women’s Royal Naval Service ceases to exist as all members become part of the regular Royal Navy
- Princess Diana announces her withdrawal from public life
- The European Union is formally established following the Maastricht Treaty
- BBC airs Hootenany, the New Year’s Eve show hosted by Jools Holland, for the very first time on 31st December
Click here to see our photos from the British Engines Awards 2018!